Hiring Full Time Distiller in Astoria
Pilot House Distilling is a craft distillery with tastings rooms located in historic downtown Astoria, Cannon Beach, and North Portland. We offer hand-crafted, award-winning spirits and are proud to say we brought the first canned cocktail to market in Oregon.
We are looking for a creative, responsible, and detail-oriented individual who can help craft our spirits and expand our portfolio. This position is a great opportunity to be part of a young, growing business. The Distiller is an integral member of our small Production Team and will be conducting every aspect of everyday production with the team. From ordering materials to loading finished goods onto the truck. The Distiller will need to be flexible, hardworking, and a team-player. It’s a physical, hands-on, dirty job, which sometimes leads to non-standard work hours. If this all sounds exciting…keep reading!
Job Duties include (but not limited to):
• Work closely and collaboratively with a small crew to manage day-to-day tasks
• Work with the team to ensure production goals are met
• Co-lead the entirety of production, including but not limited to: mashing, fermenting, distilling, bottling, labeling, packaging, dumping and filling barrels, proofing, etc.
• Aware of inventory and production needs at all times
• Ensure raw materials, packaging materials, and other key inventory are on-hand
• Clean, maintain, and troubleshoot all production equipment
• Collaborate in sensory of spirits, sample cataloging, tracking compliance data, and recording each step of the spirit production process
• Collaborate on organizational tasks including record keeping, OLCC/ TTB documentation, etc.
• Keep inventory organized and safely stored
• Help maintain a collaborative, fun, and safe work environment
• Assist in educating new team members, co-workers, and the public on our products
• Must be 21 years of age or older
• Minimum 2 years of distillery experience required
• Knowledge of alcoholic beverage production techniques required
• Advanced education in fermentation sciences, chemistry, biology and/or engineering are a great plus
• Knowledge of general laboratory safety practices required
• Solid understanding of the mathematics involved in gauging and proofing spirits
• Detail oriented and used to keeping extensive notes
• Pallet jack and forklift experience required
• Knowledge or background in maintenance a plus
• Proven ability to work with little to no supervision and comfortable following SOP’s precisely
• Familiar with and able to safely handle caustic and acidic chemicals
• Lives by “Safety First” rules
• Valid driver’s license, clean driving record
• Able to stand and move for extended periods of time. Regularly bend, lift, crawl, climb ladders and work in tight spaces
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 55 lbs. unassisted up a ladder, or 150 lbs. with assistance
• Solid knowledge of Microsoft Excel with ability to read and interpret blending spreadsheets
• Comfortable using MS Office (Outlook, Word, Teams) and Adobe Acrobat
• Comfortable working in an environment which may be loud, hot, cold and contain strong odors
• Friendly and calm demeanor and able to communicate clearly with co-workers, owners, and customers
• Take pride in our sustainable practices (recycling, waste reduction, etc.)
• Treat teammates with respect at all times
• Passionate about the craft beverage industry, our company culture, and the community
• Background check required
• Competitive pay based on experience and position
• 100% employer-paid base health insurance with additional electives*
• Participation in the 401k Plan (company match available)*
• Paid Time Off (pro-rated amount of 80 hrs to start)
• Cell stipend
• Access to our EAP and Financial Fitness tools
• Beverage and merchandise perks
Pilot House Distilling is an equal employment opportunity employer and implements policies and practices that do not discriminate against applicants and employees. Post-offer background check is required.
Check out our social media (@pilothousedistilling) and websites (www.pilothousedistilling.com) to find out a bit more about us. If you’re interested to apply or learn more, please send your cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Please include which position you’re applying for!